This morning when I came downstairs for my hour of solitude, I opened the back door to let a little fresh air in. Now that all the blighted buildings are gone from our corner, I can see the street with its passing cars. There weren't a ton of cars, but enough to make me think about all the different people going about their daily lives. Watching the cars, I started to reflect on those things I like most about city living. I often hear negative comments on city life, so I thought I'd share with you over the next week the things I have loved about our life in Pittsburgh.
One of the things I like most is having so many different types of people around. David and I enjoy company, and it is not uncommon for several people to drop by our house daily. My children have grown up expecting a variety of people at our door and our dinner table, people who happened by and were invited in to spend time with us or invited to join us for a meal. My children have had the privilege of knowing people young and old, black and white, rich and poor, and having entertained them all in home for all kinds of occasions.
This past week, my children were in our back yard playing with a few neighborhood kids. I called my brood inside for dinner, and as they came to the door, they pulled me aside to ask in a whispered voice, "Can we invite Rosie and VJ to join us for dinner?" At first, my internal reaction was, "Definitely not! Dad is out of town tonight, and I'm already tired. I'm not sure I made enough food. No way!" But then, a little voice in my mind reminded me that this is what we have taught our children. That in a moments notice, our table is available to any of our friends that happen to drop in or be around. As we added to plates to the table, I rejoiced that my children were living out what we have taught them it means to be "Pittsburgh Bailys."
This is one of the things I love most about the city. People. All sorts, shapes, sizes. All different backgrounds and life stories. All created by God and loved by Him. And I love that they drop by our house and share our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment